Linked Header

Tuesday, August 30, 2011

EMO Happy With Response To Irene

The city's Emergency Management Office is happy with the response to Tropical Storm Irene. 

Acting Fire Chief Kevin Clifford tells CHSJ News people are generally prepared for power outages, and the warmer weather means they're not as big of a deal.

Clifford says the biggest challenge is keeping people away from the shore near Saints Rest beach and Redhead Road. 
He says people want to be as close as they can, which is a problem when there is a risk of being swept away.

Movie Tax Credit Correction

A correction to information we reported earlier today concerning the controversial tax credit for the proposed movie on the Bathurst van crash.

We reported Culture Minister Trevor Holder was pointing the finger at the previous Liberal government for granting the credit - in fact - Holder didn't make that statement and CHSJ News apologizes for the error.

A government official tells us the tax credit was contained in the previous year's budget - it was given to encourage the use of local talent and people - it wasn't based on judging of the movie content.

Even though the tax credit was granted - the government official says it's up to the producers to move forward with the project and claim it.

The Alward government axed the tax credit program in its first budget introduced earlier this year.

Removal Of Harbour Bridge Toll Plaza To Start This Week

The end of the toll plaza on the Saint John Harbour Bridge begins this week.
Transportation minister Claude Williams tells CHSJ News the process of removing it will take about two months.

The tender for the removal goes to Galbraith Construction at a cost of more than $700,000.

The province says no changes are expected in the flow of traffic.

RCMP Investigate Possible Peninsula Stabbing

Sussex RCMP looking into a possible stabbing on the Peninsula over the weekend.

RCMP and paramedics responding to Route 845 on Saturday night where two men were found with minor stab wounds.

Both men refused to be treated in hospital and no charges have been laid at this time.

Deputy Mayor Disputes Savings On In-House Garbage Pick-Up

However, Deputy Mayor Stephen Chase questioning the amount of savings that the city could reap from going in-house on garbage pick-up.

He tells CHSJ News he received an analysis by the current contractor and their numbers show that costs could go up as high as 600-thousand dollars.

Director of Municipal Operations Paul Groody says he stands by his numbers but is willing to talk to the contractor to compare details.

City Could Save Millions With In-House Trash Pick-Up

If the city takes their garbage collection completely in-house, the savings will be substantial according to the Director of Municipal Operations Paul Groody.

He says about 1.3 million dollars will be saved over 5 years, even after factoring in the costs of buying equipment necessary for the switchover.

In terms of yearly operational savings once the transition is complete, Groody says it would be about half a million dollars.

The city currently uses a mixed system, with about a third of city trash being picked up by contractors.

Bathurst Moms Ask For Investigation Of Tax Credit

The provincial auditor general and her federal counterpart have been asked to investigate the granting of a 250 thousand dollar tax credit to the makers of a proposed movie on the Bathurst High van crash.

The request was made by the mothers of three of seven boys killed when the school's basketball team was returning from a game in January 2008. One of the moms is Isabelle Hains who tells CHSJ News the families have been left out in the cold.

Dream Street Pictures of Fredericton and C-B-C Television are planning a movie on how the Bathurst Phantoms were able to win a provincial championship a year after the crash.
The mothers say they believe the tax credit was given without consideration to the sensitivities of the parents.

Over 9000 New Brunswickers Still Without Juice

NB Power crews are still working to get more than 9000 customers back on the grid.
The lights are still out in Fredericton, Rothesay, St. Stephen, Sussex, Moncton and Grand Falls.

The utility pointing out their crews are facing challenges in terms of geography and poor road conditions and because of this restoration times will vary.

For the latest on the outages, click here

Local Blood Donors To Get Something Extra

Local people eating local blueberries helping local hospital patients.

That's what is happening at Canadian Blood Services in Saint John during Blueberry Shortcake week.

Everyone that comes in to donate during this week's clinic can enjoy the summer treat.

The clinic runs from 11am to 2:30pm today, Wednesday and Friday and from 11am to 8pm on Thursday at 405 University Avenue.  Saint Johners are encouraged to book an appointment call 1-888-2-Donate.

Still No Decision On Metal Shredder Expansion

An environmental impact assessment will not be conducted on the above ground power line proposal for a west side metal shredder.

Mayor Ivan Court tells CHSJ News it doesn't meet the requirements according to Environment Minister Margaret-Ann Blaney.

Court says the city, NB Power, and American Iron and Metal are still trying to find deal that will please everyone and he is unsure when a deal will be reached.

Members of Save the Westside Coastline, who oppose the power lines going through their property, showing up at council chambers to learn the fate of the project but were told that the issue would not be coming up during the council session.

Spokesperson Wendy Cyr tells CHSJ News she is still hopeful that the lines will be buried and their properties will be protected. She feels her group presented a convincing case at last week's public meeting as to the legitimate dangers and concerns of the project.

The group was not around when Court told reporters that the E-I-A will not be happening.

Thousands Are Still Without Power After Storm

There are still alot of people around the province still without power in the aftermath of Hurricane Irene.

As of early this morning, more than 87 hundred customers were still without any electricity provincewide including almost 3 thousand in the Rothesay district which includes Grand Bay-Westfield, just over a thousand in the Sussex area and more than 42 hundred in Fredericton.

 For the latest on the power outages and to see video and picture highlights of Irene's impact, go to and click news.