Linked Header

Sunday, April 22, 2012

Kids Need To Be Kept Excited About Science

A local science education group says there has been a disconnect between what students learn in school about science and the kind that happens in the real world.

Spokesperson Michael Edwards tells CHSJ News one way to solve that issue is to keep kids curious and excited about the scientific process.

He says there has been a renewed focus on keeping young students engaged and he wants to see that applied to the higher grades as well.

Earth Day Activities Abound Today

In honour of Earth Day, some special events planned throughout the region.

The NB Museum in Market Square will be screening topical environmental documentaries from 2-3:30pm in coordination by the Alliance of Natural History Museums of Canada and Planet in Focus.

At the Marine Museum in Saint Andrews, kids can do crafts and check two touch tanks, lobsters and seal feedings at 4 p.m. There will be a screening of Free Willy 3 at 1pm.

In Fredericton Green Matters will be commemorating Earth Day this year with a special screening of the Disneynature film “Chimpanzee” on April 22, 12 noon at the Empire Theatres. With a donation of a non-perishable food item or toy donation, admission will be $5.00 for adults and $3.00 for children.

Boat Catches Fire

A fire on a power boat partially loaded with fuel causing a scare at the Saint John Power Boat Club.

Fire officials responding to the call at 339 Kennedy Street saying a boat in winter storage had caught fire.

The blaze was contained to the 35 foot power boat where it started, but other vessels moored nearby sustained damage as well. District chief Joe Armstrong wouldn't say the boat was a write-off, but it did sustain major damage. No word yet on the cause of the blaze.

Fire on Princess Street

An evening blaze in the South End caused smoke damage to an entire apartment building.

Police and fire officials responding to 178 Princess Street around 8 o'clock found smoke spreading throughout the multi-unit building.

The residents were evacuated and the source of the fire was traced to a kitchen on the second floor. The blaze was knocked down, but the people living there are still displaced from their homes.